No racing on day one at 2013 Finn Europeans in Warnemunde
It was a slow start to the 2013 Open and Junior European Championship in Warnemünde, Germany as the sailors waited patiently onshore all day as the wind failed to stabilize at anything more than a paltry 4 knots. It was finally abandoned for the day at 17.00.
On the plus side it was a beautifully sunny and hot day, but there is little that is more dangerous than 100 Finn sailors with nothing to do. The sailors were given regular updates all day but were told to be prepared to go afloat at any time in case the wind arrived. There was a light breeze in the harbour but it was clear that outside the situation was different with a maximum of 4 knots recorded and an average of 2-3 knots. Finally at 17.00 the wait was over and the sailors sent home with no racing.
Rob Lamb (GBR), the PRO said,
“We had a light breeze with 3 knots – but there were spots without any wind at all“, said Robert Lamb “I hoped until the end to get a sea breeze, but we didn’t. But tomorrow we are stepping it up – we are supposed to get a Force 3, which is ideal.” Filippo Baldassari (ITA) commented, “The decision has been absolutely right. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. In this case we prefer to wait here onshore.”